Thursday, December 9, 2010

36 Days Post-op: Some setbacks

Hi everyone! A little over 5 weeks post-op..

I decided NOT to attend the Andrea Bocelli concert last night. My back started acting up a little before that and I decided not to piss it off anymore. It was definitely a good decision.

Today I sat down at a restaurant for a little over an hour and a half and then did a little bit of shopping. Everything was great, my back taking it great, but then I could feel it upsetting a little after 2 hours.

As you can see, I still have my limitations, but it's completely normal. I am, afterall, only 5 weeks post-op.

I believe my back started acting up when I found out my sister was pregnant and I got all excited. I crawled into bed (I know it seems normal but soon after ADR, forget about crawling into bed), instead of doing the usual wood log procedure (which i've mastered and now takes less than a second). Then I jumped out of bed and did a few awkward poses whilst talking to my sister.

Lesson learned. Don't crawl or do awkward poses 5 weeks post-op!

It don't think it's a biggie though! Like I said, only 5-weeks..

As for what I think my limitations still are:
-I would not travel economy yet
-I would not stand up for longer than 1 hour at a time.
-I would not drive longer than an hour (even with your seat really back)



Let it be noted that I haven't taken a single pill since day 9 post-op.

Good luck everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Whoa,...take it easy Mike. You're almost half way to the 3 month mark and being patient now will be well worth it the rest of your life. You are probably so happy not having the jolting nerve pain that you want to act normally since you feel more normal, but I'm sure there is a lot of healing for your body yet to do. "Log-roll, log-roll... :)

    Thanks for the update,

    ~Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most definitely agree! I'm almost halfway there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mike, how did you acquire the insurance you had that allowed the travel abroad for the opperation. Is it easily acquired? Also - what specific exercises do you do in hydrotherapy? How is that comming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The insurance is easily attainable. My plan is very expensive because you can go to any hospital in the world. However, they have a less expensive plan that caters to a smaller range of hospitals.

    Go to www.bupa.com to read more (mine is www.bupalatinamerica.com because my family resides in latin america)

    In hydrotherapy I stand in 5 feet of water holding myself to the pool edge and swing each leg forward and back 100 times each, with a lot of force. Then I swing them sideways, 100 times. Then I go to the pool corner and do kicks whilst trying not to touch the floor, which tighten my abdominal muscles and strengthens my back. Then i do a little bit of twisting and that's it.

    I'll be stopping hydrotherapy soon and moving on the light aerobics more intensively. I'll write more about that soon.

    ReplyDelete